The end of another week, and I’ve ended up with 89,444 words for this 2nd rewrite. So, that’s an extra 2,294. I started making sure each individual voice remains consistent through the narrative and, so far, I’ve checked and corrected 11,780 words in that process. Interesting little interruption during the work: Scrivener decided it was due an update. Past experience has led me to suspect it’s unwise to ignore or delay such things, so I let it do its thing. No doubt some aspects have changed, but I’ve yet to discover what. No matter. It’s now up to date. Talking of which, certain events on Earth and others relating to Mars have again made me consider small changes to plot: that’s been a constant concern for this book, since there are aspects of life here and issues relating to Mars that are constantly on the move. Still, it’s all in a day’s work for the scifi novelist, I suppose!
Had what might be called a domestic event during the week as well: I’m currently trying to tame a rather steep slope at the foot of my garden (it was part of a quarry some 100 years ago). This involves me installing temporary steps to allow me somewhere solid to stand whilst strimming the multitude of weeds that love to occupy the slope. Later, when time and finances allow, I’ll build some proper steps, but for now I’m using the materials I have to hand. Hard physical work, and it left me knackered for the following day. Oh, and I was inspired to write and post a longish piece on Democracy, which involved a fair amount of writing time and not a little research.
So, my task for the coming week is to really get to grips with the other narrators and make sure they’re all talking the way they should. See where I am by this time next week.
If you’re a writer, I hope you’re having success. If you’re a reader, I hope I’m increasing your interest in the book. Let me know.