The end of the week, and I’ve ended up with 87,150 words at the end of this 2nd rewrite. I’ve spent a fair amount of the time available in moulding passages originally created for the pov’s of 4 antagonists so that each is consistent. It’s difficult to get into the mind-set of evil people, so this has been a hard week for me. But the bulk of that is now done and I can concentrate on the other narrators, ensuring their individual pieces are similarly consistent. This will entail a thorough examination of around 82,000 words, checking that the ‘voice’ of each of my narrators remains true to character. So, that’s my next task. See where I am by this time next week.
If you’re a writer, I hope you’re having similar success. If you’re a reader, I hope I’m increasing your interest in the book. Let me know.
2 thoughts on “Progress on the WIP: SciFi in the Making.”
I can relate…took me three months to find the voice I wanted. Whew! Hope the rest is smooth sailing for you!
LikeLiked by 1 person
It isn’t easy, is it, Noelle?
In the novel, I have several different voices, which I’ve already created. The difficulty now is to ensure that each of those voices remains consistent throughout their various contributions to the narration. So I’m going through each character’s collection of ‘chapters’ as a single entity to make sure that their language use , idiom, attitude, gender and stance on various relevant questions remains consistent. It means getting under the skin of each of the narrators in turn. Since these number both male and female, good and bad, educated and none-too-bright, it’s a fairly demanding task. But I obviously have several subconscious entities residing within me anyway, so that multiple personality aspect should help!
Comments are closed.